Skip to page body Home About GP City Government Residents Business Visitors I Want To...

 Dark Haired Dog 2 Cat Laying Dark Haired Dog 1

Animal Care

As per the Animals and Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw C-1226

For more information on General Animal Care, click here for the brochure.

Bit by a Dog or Cat?

To report a dog or cat bite, fill out the Animal Bite Witness Statement Form.

Dog Information

Find out what you need to know to ensure the best experience for you and your dog in the community

Dog at Large?

To report a dog running at large contact Enforcement Services at 780-830-5790

Lost Pet?

If you have questions about a lost dog contact the Regional Animal Pound at 780-830-0199 

Cat Information

Find information about nuisance cats and trapping a cat

Animal Licensing

Animal license applications, renewals and tag replacements are available online via eServices or in person at City on 99. For new licences, please remember to bring proof of your animal(s) being spayed or neutered if this applies to your pet.

See our Animal Licensing brochure for more information. 

For Animal Limit Exemptions, click here for the application.

For information about Bees and Beekeeping in Grande Prairie, click here.

Other Animals

If your concern is related to an animal other than a dog or cat, please contact Alberta Fish and Wildlife.

Organization Responsible  Telephone Contact  Animal of Concern   Pest Control Legislation
Alberta Fish & Wildlife


 Deer, moose, coyotes

Wildlife Act of Alberta

Enforcement Services


Rats, muskrats, skunks, racoons, exotic animals (imported snakes etc.)  

Agricultural Pests Act

Enforcement Services


 Dogs, Cats

Animal Control Bylaw 

Enforcement Services


 Residents feeding wildlife

Noise and Nuisance Bylaw 

Parks Operations - IPM


Insect pests, noxious weeds and plant diseases on public lands

Weed Control Act, Plant Protection Act, Agricultural Pests Act and City Service Levels 

Parks Operations - Muskoseepi


Beaver and Muskrat in Muskoseepi and Crystal Lake Parks Only

Not protected species



Beaver and Muskrat in storm ponds

Not protected species 

Fleet Maintenance


Insects and rodents in Civic buildings/performed under contract

Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, Alberta Code of Practice for Pesticides 

RCMP and Enforcement Services


Stray Livestock (cows, bison and horses) 

Stray Animals Act 

Discretion of Landowner


Magpies, Pigeons, Crows, Ravens, English Sparrow

Not protected, trapping only 

Control not permitted in the City. Hunting Permit required.


 Geese, ducks

Migratory Birds Convention Act, Wildlife Act of Alberta


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Download Acrobat Reader Download Flash Player Download QuickTime Download Windows Media Player Download Microsoft Silverlight Download Word Viewer Download Excel Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer
Last updated: 9/26/2016 2:17:32 PM