Skip to page body Home About GP City Government Residents Business Visitors I Want To...

18th Century

18th Century - The area was occupied by people of the Beaver and Cree First Nations

19th Century

Dominion Land Office 19111881 - Hudson’s Bay Company trading post established 21km from current city

1902- 1920

1902 - Hudson’s Bay Company trading post closed
1910 - Bear Creek renamed “Grande Prairie City”
1911 - The Edson Trail from Edson to Grande Prairie opens
1912 - Grande Prairie included a bank, hotel, post office and land office. A school district is established.
1913 - The Grande Prairie Herald begins circulation First School 1916
April 30, 1914 -  Grande Prairie is incorporated as a Village
1914 - Pioneer Hospital Opens
1915 - The first electric lighting plant is installed in Grande Prairie
1916 - Grande Prairie becomes terminus of the Edmonton, Dunvegan and British Columbia Railway (ED&BC)
1918 - Telephone system is installed in Grande Prairie
March 15, 1919 - Grande Prairie becomes a Town
1920 - New Town Hall and Fire Station

1921-1939

1921 - A new town hall is built in the northwest corner of town GP 2014 Main Street
1926 - The first free standing motion picture theatre in the area is opened
1928 - Grande Prairie High School is built
1929 - The Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital is opened
1932 - The Northwest Tribune begins circulation, in direct competition with the Herald
1932 - The RCMP establish a detachment in Grande Prairie
1937 - Radio Station CFGP is begun
1939 - The Grande Prairie Herald and The Northern Tribune merge to become the Daily-Herald Tribune
1939-1945 - The town plays a significant role in the war effort, having an American Air Force Base at the airport, the Royal Canadian Signal Corps station just east of town and the Reserve Militia Training Centre nearby

1946-1958

1946 - The Northern Alberta Diary Pool is established in Grande Prairie
1949 - A public swimming pool, indoor curling rink and Memorial Skating Area are all constructed
1950 - A new composite high school is constructed, complete with dormitory. Located in Grande Prairie it is intended for the entire district
1950 - Provincial Health Unit established
January 1, 1958 - Grande Prairie receives its charter and becomes a City

1972-1995

1972 - Opening of Procter & Gamble kraft pulp mill
1974 - Grand Prairie Regional College is completed
1977- Discovery of the Elmworth Deep Basin Gas Field
1986 - Queen Elizabeth II Hospital Opens
1986 - Muskoseepi Park completed
1995 - Canada Winter Games are held in Grande Prairie

2000-2014

2000 - Millennial Tribute to Grande Prairie, Centre 2000, opens
2003 - Coca Cola Centre Opens
2011 - Eastlink Centre Opens
2014 – 100th Anniversary of Incorporation

Last updated: 1/19/2015 9:46:50 AM