Skip to page body Home About GP City Government Residents Business Visitors I Want To...

Residential Building Permits 


Below is a list of the residential developments that you may need a Residential Building Permit.  If you are looking for permit applications for a Commercial, Industrial, Institutional, Tenant Improvement, or Temporary, please visit the Commercial Permits page.

Click on the links below to find out if you need a permit, download the permit application, and read instructions on how to properly complete your application.

The current Fee Schedule (PDF, 346 KB) outlines the associated fees for residential & commercial permits.


Permit Life

Work must be started within 90 days of the permit issuance and not exceed a period of 120 days with no work completed.

Minor Residential Building Developments

Alterations and Additions




Hot Tub/Swimming Pool

Manufactured Home

Secondary Suite

Sheds and Garages

Solid Fuel Burning Appliance


Major Residential Building Developments

New Home/Multi-family

Energy Code Enforcement

Are you building something that doesn't fit within one of the above? Call Inspection Services at 780-538-0421 to find out if you need a permit. 

Subtrade Permit Information - Do I need a Permit?


An electrical permit is required to install, alter or add to an electrical system. Running any amount of new wire will require an electrical permit.

Download the Residential Building/Subtrade Permit Application to apply for an electrical permit. A Homeowners Electrical Wiring Guide (PDF 15.3 MB) is available here to assist you in your basic, home wiring.


HVAC installation is included in the building permit fee and falls under the direct responsibility of the Building Contractor. However, a permit is required for every heating unit installed in a house/living unit, in the event your project also includes hydronic heating, ensure you apply for the applicable permit. See link below.

Plumbing / Gas

A plumbing permit is required to install new fixtures. One is not required to repair or replace existing fixtures.  Download the Residential Building/Subtrade Permit Application to apply for a plumbing permit.

Hydronic Heating

Yes, if you are planning to install hydronic heating lines, a permit is required.  Download the Hydronic Heating Permit Application to apply for a hydronic heating permit.

Last updated: 2/1/2018 3:22:11 PM