Skip to page body Home About GP City Government Residents Business Visitors I Want To...

What is an alteration or addition?

An alteration or addition is considered a renovation which affects anything structural such as moving or removing walls or adding windows and doors.  Adding drywall or painting is not considered an alteration or addition.

Do I need a Building Permit?

All additions and alterations (as defined above) require a building permit.

Do I need a Development Permit?

All additions and alterations that affect the overall footprint of the existing structure require a development permit. For all interior renovations, no development permit is required.  If your addition or alteration includes a secondary suite, you do require a development permit.  Contact a Development Officer for questions and details at

How to Complete your Application

Download the Alterations and Additions Information Package (PDF 201 KB) to learn how to complete your building permit application.

Your fee will be based on the square footage you are making 'alterations' too, and/or by the square footage you are 'adding'. Please see the Cost of Construction sheet to establish your building permit fee. A copy of this will be required along with your application.

Get the Residential Building Permit Application Online

Download the Residential Permit Application (PDF 749 KB) here.

Last updated: 3/2/2018 11:42:05 AM