Skip to page body Home About GP City Government Residents Business Visitors I Want To...

Q.      What do I need to widen my driveway?

To widen your driveway, add an extra parking stall or repave your driveway, the following procedure should be taken:

  1. Provide a copy of your Real Property Report (RPR) or Plot Plan. If you do not have one:
    1. Contact your lawyer
    2. Get a survey done
  2. On the copy of your RPR or Plot Plan, indicate the following:
    1. Location of the proposed widening
    2. Dimensions required
  3. Fill out the back of Driveway Request Form (PDF 521KB) and submit with your RPR or Plot Plan to:
  4. Expect a response from the Engineering Services Department within two weeks of submit date.

 Q.     Would I require a permit to widen my driveway?

Yes, you will require a crossing permit (PDF 81KB) provided your application (PDF 521KB) has been approved. In some cases, a barricade (PDF 88KB) and excavation (PDF 97KB) permit may be required and should be obtained through a contractor with proof of a minimum of $2 million liability insurance coverage.

Q.      How long is the crossing permit good for?

The crossing permit is good for 1 year from the issue date.

Q.      Would someone come and check the work afterwards?

Yes, spot checks would be undertaken.

Q.      What are the consequences of expanding a driveway without a permit?

As per City Bylaw C-1078 (PDF 373KB) it will be considered unauthorized use on Public Land which includes; but not limited to; a driveway, parking pad, garage, fence or any form of landscaping.

The director may require the person responsible for the unauthorized use of land to cease such unauthorized use. A direction must identify the use, restore the public land at the owner's expense to its original state immediately before commencement, and indicate a time frame which the person must comply.

If not in compliance, enforcement will be taken and it will entail a fine of at least $200 and not exceeding $10,000.

Last updated: 10/27/2016 9:47:17 AM