Skip to page body Home About GP City Government Residents Business Visitors I Want To...

A Portable Sign is defined as a sign that is relocatable or removable from a site and used for advertising.  The copy on such a sign identifies or advertises a business activity, product, service or entertainment located on the premises or site where the sign is displayed. 

A Portable Sign that is placed on private property does not require a Development Permit so long as it complies with the regulations of the of Land Use Bylaw C-1260, Signs

Section 4.10 —Portable SignsPortable Signs

  • The maximum sign area of a portable sign shall be 4.8 m2
  • The maximum height of a portable sign shall be 2.5m
  • Only one portable sign is permitted on a property with a frontage length up to 30m.  A maximum of two portable signs may be permitted on a lot or site with frontage length between 30m and 150m.  A maximum of three portable signs may be permitted on a lot or site with a frontage length greater than 150m..
  • A portable sign shall not be located within 15.0m of any other portable sign.
  • A portable sign shall not be located within a corner visibility triangle.
  • Portable signs may contain a name plate or the contact information of the company that owns the sign, provided that the name plate does not exceed 5% of the sign area.
  • Portable signs shall only be placed on the ground but shall not be fastened to the ground. Portable signs shall not be placed on roofs or elevated by any means.
  • A portable sign may be illuminated; but shall not be illuminated  and  include a changeable copy component.

General Regulations

  • Signs shall not conflict with the general character of the surrounding neighbourhood or  interfere with the movement of pedestrian or vehicular traffic.
  • Any sign placed in or on a required parking stall or loading space shall be placed so as not to reduce the number of available parking stalls or loading spaces below the minimum number required pursuant to this Bylaw, or a development permit.

Portable Signs are not permitted in the following Land Use Districts:       

  • MHC-Manufactured Home Community
  • MHS-Manufactured Home Subdivision
  • RC-Combined Density Residential
  • RG-General Residential
  • RH-High Density Residential
  • RS-Small Lot Residential
  • RR-Restricted Residential
  • RT-Residential Transition

Please contact the Development Permitting Department at 780-538-0325, if you require confirmation of the Land Use District that applies to your property.



Last updated: 2/26/2018 4:03:53 PM