Skip to page body Home About GP City Government Residents Business Visitors I Want To...

Checklist for making a complaint or claim to the City of Grande Prairie:

Before you complain
How to make a complaint in person or on the phone
How to make a complaint in writing
How to report a non-emergency issue using See Click Fix
How long does it take to resolve a complaint?
What if my complaint isn't resolved?
How do I file an insurance claim against the City?

Before you complain

  1. Does your complaint involve the RCMP or criminal activity? 
    If so, do not contact the City of Grande Prairie.  Contact the RCMP by calling  780-830-5700
  2. Are you clear about your complaint? What’s the problem with the service you’ve received?
  3. What do you want to make up for the issue?
    • When do you want this done? Give a reasonable amount of time.
  4. Gather evidence: Keep any photos, emails, or notes from phone conversations etc. that may be relevant.
  5. Make a list that notes:
    • What happened
    • When it happened
    • Who you spoke to
  6. Act quickly: Report the complaint as soon as possible.
  7. Try first to contact the person you originally dealt with. If they can’t help, ask for details of the official complaints procedure and the name of the person who will be handling your complaint.

How to make a complaint in person or on the phone

In person:
Go to the appropriate facility.
For a list of all City facilities, view our facility directory. Please check the facility's hours of operation.
By phone:

Contact the Citizen Contact Centre at 780-538-0300.



It is important to:

  • Stay calm, even if you are angry.
    • The person you’re talking to may not be in a position to give you what you want.
    • If necessary, ask to speak with the person in charge.
  • Keep records of any receipts, letters, emails, or notes from phone conversations that may be relevant.
  • Give the staff member your contact information in case they need to contact you.
  • If you haven’t resolved your issue with a phone call or visit, follow-up with a letter. To learn how to make a complaint in writing, see below.

How to make a complaint in writing

  • Provide details about the issue and your attempts to resolve it.
  • Enclose a copy of any receipt or any other relevant documents.
    • Don’t send originals.
  • Keep a copy of your letter for your records.
  • Check you have the correct name and address to send the letter to. If you are unsure, view the City's contact page or contact the main Citizen Contact Centre at 780-538-0300.

How long does it take to resolve a complaint?

It depends on the nature of your issue. You may be able to resolve your concern with one phone call to the appropriate person within the City of Grande Prairie. If the issue is of a more complex type, it may take additional time to achieve a satisfactory resolution.

What if my complaint isn’t resolved?

You can choose to pursue the issue at the Director level of the Service Area.

How do I file an insurance claim against the City?

  1. Provide a completed Statement of Damage or Injury Claim Form, and include at least two estimates for repairs to damages (or receipts if repairs have been completed) to the Legislative Services Department.
  2. The claim will be investigated and you will be notified of the City's decision.
For further information, you can contact the Insurance Coordinator in Legislative Services via e-mail ( or at 780-830-7429
Last updated: 7/5/2017 3:31:22 PM