Population from Census 2015 - 68,556
Learn more about how fast Grande Prairie is growing.
Discover how YOU can get involved with your local government
Exciting things are happening downtown Grande Prairie.
Keep up to date with the Downtown Rehabilitation Project here!
Learn more about investing in Grande Prairie, Alberta Canada
Muskoseepi Park is a must-see in Grande Prairie!
Report Non-emergency issues, like potholes and graffiti online with SeeClickFix
2017-2026 Transit Master Plan
The City of Grande Prairie retained IBI Group to undertake a review of the City’s conventional public transit system and to develop a new Transit Master Plan. The master plan will help guide the development and growth of conventional transit services in Grande Prairie. The consultant reviewed all aspects of the City’s transit service including routings, stop locations, service levels, fares, as well as the associated supporting infrastructure. The Transit Master Plan identifies ways to make the current system more efficient, effective, and user friendly in an effort to improve active transportation in the City.
The Transit Master Plan was adopted in September 2017. Click the links below to view the plan documents.
The Transit Master Plan represents a vision for future transit service in Grande Prairie. It sets out goals and objectives that the Transit department will work toward within the plan period. Actual changes made to the transit system during the plan period may differ from the Plan due to operational requirements, economic circumstances, and City Council direction.
The key objectives of Plan development study were to:
1. Conduct an operational review of the conventional transit system to assess current and future needs, as well as to develop a plan to serve new growth areas of the city;
2. Review and prepare appropriate policies, service standards, and planning procedures to guide the planning and expansion of service into new areas – as well as future adjustments to service levels and routings;
3. Review existing transfer locations within the city to assess their functionality and capacity in support of an optimal transit network in the city; and
4. Prepare a short-term (five-year) resource and financial plan to address immediate service and operational issues in the transit system, as well as a long-term (ten-year) plan to address longer-term transit needs in the City.
The scope of work assigned to IBI was:
• Review of existing transit services
• Analysis of potential new services
• A review of service delivery options
• Service standards and policy framework
• Key Performance Indicators and benchmarking data
• Market Research/Outreach
• Fare Structure
• Capital infrastructure
• Consolidated Capital and Operating Financial Plan
During the course of Plan development, the City of Grande Prairie held two public meetings to solicit input from the general public about their opinion of the current transit system. The first meeting provided members of the public an opportunity to be introduced to the planning process, to provide their opinions on the current quality of service, and to discuss potential needs and opportunities to improve the transit system. This meeting was held at the Montrose Cultural Centre on July 6, 2016.
The second meeting was held prior to the conclusion of planning to present IBI Group’s draft recommendations as well as to collect public feedback on proposed changes to the transit network. This meeting was held at the Montrose Cultural Centre on November 24, 2016.
Following the conclusion of plan-writing, IBI worked with Transit administration staff to finalize the Plan. The Plan was approved by City Council's Community Living Committee on September 5, 2017, and adopted by City Council on September 18, 2017.
Contact Us eServices
© City of Grande Prairie. All Rights Reserved.
Website Created by Vision Internet
©2019 City of Grande Prairie, Alberta. All Rights Reserved. Website Created by Vision Internet