The Finance department provides accounting and financial services to the City of Grande Prairie.
We provide centralized services in the areas of:
- Accounts payables
- Accounts receivables
- Quarterly and annual financial reporting
- Pay and benefits
- Operating and capital budgets
- Financial internal controls
We also provide financial advice to Departments and City Council.
- Manage the City investment portfolio in accordance with the investment policy approved by City Council, which ensures safety of principal while maximizing return on investment.
- Provide regular reports to City Council including the Annual Financial Report and Annual Audit.
- Develop, implement and maintain strong internal controls to safeguard City funds and promote accurate financial information.
Financial Systems/Departmental Support
- Provide access to financial information including processes for capturing, securing and reporting City department transactions.
- Provide effective budget systems, financial information systems, financial analysis and financial planning policies.
- Provide the means to access and interpret the information generated from the day-to-day activity of all departments.
- Provide training and support on Financial Information Systems.
- Consult with departments in the areas of capital projects, budgets, financial accounting, benefits and contract negotiations.
- Maintain financial reporting systems to ensure that operating results are properly compared to budget and performance measures, and are reported to interested parties in a meaningful and timely manner.
- Ensure the various components of the Financial Information System function properly together to facilitate the processing of source documents (payments, receipts, journal entries, etc..) into useful information.
Long-Range Financial Planning and Policy Making
- Assist decision-makers in allocating limited resources by providing relevant information on long-term needs. This is accomplished through operating and capital budgets and long-term financial forecasting.
- Assist in providing long-range financial planning to departments allowing them to focus on service and product delivery.
- Create and maintain financial policy to provide consistent accounting practices and security of financial resources.