The Finance department provides accounting and financial services to the City of Grande Prairie.
We provide centralized services in the areas of:
- Accounts payables
- Accounts receivables
- Quarterly and annual financial reporting
- Pay and benefits
- Operating and capital budgets
- Financial internal controls
We also provide financial advice to Departments and City Council.
- Manage the City investment portfolio in accordance with the investment policy approved by City Council, which ensures safety of principal while maximizing return on investment.
- Provide regular reports to City Council including the Annual Financial Report and Annual Audit.
- Develop, implement and maintain strong internal controls to safeguard City funds and promote accurate financial information.
Financial Systems/Departmental Support
- Provide access to financial information including processes for capturing, securing and reporting City department transactions.
- Provide effective budget systems, financial information systems, financial analysis and financial planning policies.
- Provide the means to access and interpret the information generated from the day-to-day activity of all departments.
- Provide training and support on Financial Information Systems.
- Consult with departments in the areas of capital projects, budgets, financial accounting, benefits and contract negotiations.
- Maintain financial reporting systems to ensure that operating results are properly compared to budget and performance measures, and are reported to interested parties in a meaningful and timely manner.
- Ensure the various components of the Financial Information System function properly together to facilitate the processing of source documents (payments, receipts, journal entries, etc.) into useful information.
Long Range Financial Planning and Policy Making
- Assist decision-makers in allocating limited resources by providing relevant information on long-term needs. This is accomplished through operating and capital budgets and long-term financial forecasting.
- Assist in providing long-range financial planning to departments allowing them to focus on service and product delivery.
- Create and maintain financial policy to provide consistent accounting practices and security of financial resources.