According to CPTED principles, vacant and unmaintained buildings have been linked to increased crime, risk to public health and welfare, by creating the impression the space is not cared for. The Demolition Grant offers a 50% matching grant up to a maximum of $50,000 for the removal of a building within the Downtown Incentives Program Boundary.
Fees and Timelines
Applications are open until the end of the year, or until funding runs out.
Projects are required to meet all legal requirements including those in the Land Use Bylaw, the Downtown Enhancement Plan, Building Codes and any other applicable regulations. Applicants are encouraged to meet with Inspection Services and Development Permitting to determine any permitting requirements.
What to Submit?
- Completed Application Form
- Preconstruction Photos – Photos shall show the current site and its context including adjacent structures, roadways, sidewalks, and landscaping.
- Site Plan – The plan should indicate all structures and their context including adjacent structures, roadways, sidewalks, and landscaping.
- Project Description – A complete description of the project.
- Project Drawings – Drawings should show the proposed design. Construction drawings are acceptable.
- Project Quotes – At least two quotes from separate contractors that indicate the Hard Cost of the project.
(NOTE: Reimbursement will be based on the project’s actual Hard Costs to a maximum of amount as set out in the Reimbursement Agreement- Demolition Grant between the City and the Applicant)
Applicants are encouraged to meet with the Program Coordinator prior to submitting their application.
The Program Coordinator can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-513-5240.