Who Needs a Fire Pit Permit?
People who want to have fire pits or camp fires on residential property need a fire pit permit. No other type of burning is allowed. Burning without a current Permit is contrary to City of Grande Prairie Bylaw C-1312.
- Residential Fire Pits are only allowed in Backyard.
- Only registered owners are eligible to take out a Recreational Burning Permit. Renters must show written approval by the owner.
- Fire attended by a competent person of 18 years of age or older at all times
- A Fire Pit shall not be located closer than three meters from a property line and from any combustible material, including, but not limited to, buildings, structures, fences, patio decks, trees and foliage as measured from the nearest Fire Pit edge
- A Fire Pit shall not be located less than 0.6 meters laterally from an underground utility line
- The Fire Pit be either dug into the ground, or constructed above ground in a manner which will prevent the fuel from falling out of the container
- The above ground portion of the pit is constructed of stone, masonry, metal, or other non-combustible material
- The Fire Pit should be no more than 3 feet/1 m in diameter or equivalent size if rectangular
- Fire Pit shall be covered by a substantial screen or grate with openings not to exceed 12.5 millimetres/ 1.25 centimetres in any dimensio
- Portable manufactured fire pits (including chimeneas) shall be located at a safe distance, approximately 10 feet/3 m, from all combustibles (i.e. house, sheds, structures, fences, trees, decks, power lines etc.)
- No portable manufactured fire pit (including chimeneas) shall be placed on a combustible surface or structure (i.e. wooden decks)
- Only burn preservative free wood or wood products
- Burning not permitted with winds over 15 km/hr
Fees and Timelines
Fire Pit Permits are $10.00 per year. You can purchase up to a maximum of 5 years ($50.00).
Application and Submission
Fire Pit Permits can be purchased in person at the Pete Eagar Fire Hall (8111 Resources Road) Monday through Friday, 08:00-16:00 or online at https://eservices.cityofgp.com/.
If you have any issues with purchasing online please call our Fire Services Administrative Coordinators at 780-830-7443 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.