One of the goals of the Community Social Development (CSD) department is to build community capacity. The Department offers consultative, administrative and funding support to volunteer groups and agencies who endeavour to meet the social needs in the community.
Accordingly, the CSD offers grants to non-profit groups for short-term, preventive and/or community enrichment projects up to a maximum of $20,000.00.
• Non-profit groups registered under the Society’s Act, or sponsored by a registered or government agency.
• Local chapter of a provincial or federal non-profit group.
Grant monies may be available for short-term projects within Grande Prairie, Alberta city limits, which enhance the social well-being of individuals, families and community through prevention. Eligible projects must be either short-term or can be used as start-up funding for longer term projects that will be sustained by other funding sources.
Applicants must provide measurable outcomes of the project.
Agencies must provide a business case for the funding, including indication of financial need.
Projects must do one or more of the following:
- Help people to develop independence, strengthen coping skills and become more resistant to crisis;
- Help people to develop an awareness of social needs;
- Help people to develop interpersonal and group skills which enhance constructive relationships among people;
- Help people and communities to assume responsibility for decisions and actions which affect them;
- Provide supports that help sustain people as active participants in the community.
Some eligible activities of a Special Project could include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Information and referral services
- Capacity building
- Increasing public awareness about community issues
- Developing strategies for community advocacy
- Developing comprehensive social community plans and initiatives
- Environmental scans
- Service reviews
- Needs assessments
- Strategic planning
- Social Innovation/Enterprise
- An event to enhance knowledge or develop skills
- Collection of data
Funding will not be provided for the following:
- Major capital expenditures, including rent, utilities and salaries not related to project.
- Recreation needs or leisure pursuits of individuals
- Offer direct financial assistance, including money, food, clothing or shelter to an individual, or family
- Projects that are primarily rehabilitative
- Duplicate services ordinarily provided by a government or government agency
- Applicants prepare and submit a grant application (CSD may be available for consultation).
- Applications are reviewed and approved by the selection committee.
- If the application is approved:
- The group must maintain separate accounting for the project and provide financial statements for expenditures.
- At the end of the project, the group submits a project summary report and a financial statement to CSD no later than 60 days following the completion of the project.
- The group must acknowledge the support of the City of Grande Prairie CSD and FCSS in its project promotion.
- That all funds received will be expended within 12 months.
- No applications are accepted once all funding has been allocated
Applications open in spring of each year.