The City of Grande Prairie understands the importance of building better relationships with the people who live around us. In celebration of neighbours and community, we host Neighbour Day and Good Neighbour Awards.
The idea is to meet neighbours, make new friends and have fun in your community. Creating a connected community fosters a sense of belonging and well being by celebrating the very people we live next door to.
Celebrating Neighbour Day
There are many ways for you to connect with your neighbours and celebrate the vibrancy of your community. Here are a few suggestions:
- Host a potluck
- Have a neighbourhood picnic at a local park
- Host afternoon tea in your backyard
- Parade of lawn parties
- Hold a sidewalk chalk drawing challenge or set up a lemonade stand
- Help your neighbour with their fall cleaning
- Go out and say hello to a neighbour you haven't met yet
- Be creative in your own way to celebrate community spirit
Good Neighbour Day
The Good Neighbour Awards were presented at the City's first Neighbour Day, on September 16, 2017. The next upcoming Neighbour Day takes place on Saturday, September 21, 2019.
Nominate a Great Neighbour Today
The City of Grande Prairie is providing residents a way to acknowledge others who have provided assistance, a service or are just truly outstanding citizens. Here are a few things you can recognize your neighbour for:
- Snow shoveling
- Helping a neighbour clean up their yard
- Host a special event for your neighbours
Nominations for the Good Neighbour Award can be sent to email@example.com.
Submissions will be profiled on the City’s website and social media accounts. Check out submissions from 2017 below.
All nomination submissions must include:
- Neighbours first and last name
- Neighbours contact information (if possible)
- A description of what makes this individual a great neighbour
- A photo of your neighbour (if possible)
Submissions should be no more than 225 words.
*The personal information collected is collected under authority of section 33(c) of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act and will be used to contact you regarding your submission. Your name contact information will be protected in accordance with the privacy provisions of the FOIP Act. If you have questions regarding the collection, use and disclosure of this information, please contact the City of Grande Prairie FOIP Coordinator at 780-538-0300.
It is a wonderful opportunity to recognize good neighbours and those who go above and beyond. Building community helps build a stronger Grande Prairie.