City Council Highlights for April 8, 2019
Here are the highlights from the City Council meeting held on April 8, 2019:
- A proclamation was made in celebration of National Dental Hygienists Week. The week promotes the importance of dental health for all ages.
- The Spinal Cord Injury Alberta presented to Council regarding the annual Chair-Leaders initiative. The presentation was received for information.
- Representatives from the taxi industry spoke to Council regarding some concerns with City vehicle for hire by-laws. The concerns were referred to the appropriate standing committee.
Performing Arts Centre Storage Project Funding
City Council voted against allocating $250,000 from the SCORES Capital Funding to the St. John Paul II Performing Arts Centre Storage Project.
The funding would have been contingent on a minimum of $250,000 in funding be secured from other resources.
Transit Service for 2019 Grande Prairie Stompede
Recognizing the success of 2018’s complimentary transit service to and from the Grande Prairie Stompede, City Council voted in favour of once again providing the service to residents and visitors during the 2019 event from May 31 to June 2.
2019 Downtown Business Improvement Area Taxes
Council approved the following bylaws:
- Business Tax & Assessment (2019) Bylaw C-1397
- Downtown Business Improvement Area Tax (2019) Bylaw C-1398
- Downtown Business Improvement Area Tax Rate (2019) Bylaw C-1399
They bylaws permit the City to assess, levy taxes, and set the tax rate for businesses located in the the Downtown Business Improvement Area.