Selected Traffic Enforcement Program (STEP) - Back to School Road Safety
School zones are in effect on Tuesday, September 1, 2020 and the City’s Enforcement Services reminds drivers to use extra caution during the transition to the school year.
Drivers are reminded to watch out for pedestrians in school zones, residential areas, near playgrounds, or any other place frequented by children.
In September STEP concentrates on moving traffic violations in and around school zones. Some safety tips for motorists to keep in mind include:
- Know and obey the 30 km/h speed limit in all school and playground zones.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop.
- Pay extra attention at intersections or mid-block crosswalks, other vehicles may hide a pedestrian crossing the road.
- Watch for the school safety patrol in their bright orange vests and always follow their direction.
- Use caution when backing out of parking stalls or driveways.
- Watch for children between parked vehicles. They may dart onto the street without warning.
School zones are in effect from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm on any school day. The maximum speed limit in these areas is 30 km/h. The speed limit in a playground zone is 30 km/h, between the hours of 7:30 am and one hour after sunset.
It is also illegal to pass another vehicle that is moving in the same direction in either a school zone or playground zone during the times that these zones are in effect.
Bylaw Enforcement Education Program (BEEP) - School Zones
Throughout the month of September, Enforcement Services places a focus on vehicles that are illegally parked or stopped in school zones. Parents and older students are encouraged to visit the school and become familiar with the drop-off zones, no parking zones and no stopping zones.
Common school zone parking offences observed include:
- Parking within 5 metres of a crosswalk or intersection;
- Parking in an area signed as no parking or no stopping;
- Parking or encroaching on a sidewalk; and
- Parking on the wrong side of the street (on a two way street), commonly referred to as left wheels to curb.
- The fine for most parking offences is $78.00.