The City of Grande Prairie is actively monitoring the evolving COVID-19 pandemic and is taking precautionary measures to prevent spread and prepare for the possibility of a confirmed case in our community.
The health, safety, and wellbeing of our residents and community is our priority.
The City has a business continuity plan to ensure core services including emergency services and transit continue to operate.
Here is a list of current facility closures of City-owned/operated facilities:
|Centre for Creative Arts||x|
|City on 99||x|
|City Service Centre||x|
|Community Social Development||x|
|Dave Barr Community Centre||x|
|Fire Hall North- Salmond||x|
|Fire Hall South- Pete Eager||x|
|Fire Hall West- Westgate||x|
|Golden Age Centre||x|
|Grande Prairie Outdoor Pool||x|
|Grande Prairie Curling Centre||x|
|Grande Prairie Gymnastics Centre||x|
|Grande Prairie Indoor Soccer||x|
|Grande Prairie Live Theatre||x|
|Grande Prairie Museum||x|
|Heritage Discovery Centre||x|
|Montrose Cultural Centre (including the Grande Prairie Public Library and the Art Gallery of Grande Prairie)||x|
|Muskoseepi Park (Ernie Radbourne Pavillion)||x|
|South Bear Creek Park indoor facilities||x|
Check this list regularly for changes to our event schedules.
|Event||Status||Original Date||Postponed Date|
|Easter Eggstravaganza||CANCELLED||April 11||N/A|
|Fiddler's Jamboree||CANCELLED||April 19||N/A|
|Spring Break Camps||CANCELLED||April 13-17||N/A|
|Spring Home and Garden Show||CANCELLED||April 17-19||N/A|
|City Scrub||POSTPONED||April 19-26||April 28-May 8|
|Earth Day||CANCELLED||April 22||N/A|
|Mother's Day Tea||CANCELLED||May 10||N/A|
|International Museum Day||POSTPONED||May 16||September 5|
|Rock Downtown/ Monster Inflatables||CANCELLED||N/A||N/A|
|Summer Camps||POSTPONED||June 29- August 21||July 6-August 21|
|Active Play||CANCELLED||July 7- August 23||N/A|
|Municipal Government Day||CANCELLED||June 24||N/A|
|Canada Day||ON SCHEDULE||July 1|
|Eastlink Triathlon||CANCELLED||September 9||N/A|
|Heritage Day||ON SCHEDULE||August 3|
|Alberta Culture Days||ON SCHEDULE||September 25-27|
|Grand Slam of Curling||ON SCHEDULE||November 3-8|
Aquatera continues to monitor the evolving COVID-19 situation and act accordingly as new information becomes available. To date, there are no interruptions to water, wastewater, solid waste (garbage and recycling) or curbside collection services.
To stay up-to-date on their services during the pandemic, visit www.aquatera.ca/covid19
Eastlink Centre Memberships
The Eastlink Centre is extending existing memberships and freezing payments. All membership extensions will reflect the period of time in which the facility is closed. Payments will resume once the facility reopens. Should you wish to view your account, please log in to online registration by visiting cityofgrandeprairie.perfectmind.com or by calling the facility at 780-830-5000 between 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.
Recreation Programming and Booking
All recreational programs and bookings have been cancelled up to June 30, 2020.
All outdoor programs and events including park use permits and league play have also been cancelled for the month of May.
The City of Grande Prairie will issue credits on accounts for all previously paid programs and bookings during this time period. To view your account, please visit cityofgrandeprairie.perfectmind.com or call 780-830-5000 between 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. Refunds will be processed in the coming weeks and cheques will be issued as a result of cancellations.
Outdoor Events and League Play: Gatherings in outdoor public spaces are limited to 50 people or fewer and members should observe the 2-metre physical distancing requirements. Activities should not include the sharing of common equipment unless you are from the same household. League play is not permitted.
The City of Grande Prairie recognizes that parks and outdoor recreation spaces are important for health and wellness.
Users are encouraged to follow the provincial guidelines on outdoor activities when using parks, trails and outdoor recreation spaces:
- Do not use if you are exhibiting flu-like symptoms
- Follow public health guidance on personal hygiene prior to visiting recreation spaces
- Wash hands frequently
- Refrain from touching your face with unclean hands
- Carry and use hand sanitizer
- Always maintain a proper physical distance of 2-metres from other individuals
- Plan activities with people from your own household or your “cohort family”; gatherings of 15+ people are prohibited
- Plan your activity in advance to ensure physical distancing is possible. If your activity involves a public place:
- consider going during non-peak hours
- walk along the sides of trails and other public pathways to maintain distance
- share the trail and warn other users as you pass
- Avoid contact with frequently touched surfaces or objects
- If you will be within 2 metres of people other than members of your own household, wear a mask in public places to help limit the risk of spread to others
For more information on these guidelines, visit the Government of Alberta website.
The following outdoor spaces and recreation facilities are open with the above guidelines in place:
- Parks, trails and open green spaces
- *Conditions permitting. Residents are asked to obey signs, barricades and the direction of local authorities during trail closures.
- Skate parks and the bike skills park
- Tennis courts (limited to single-player matches; this also applies to pickleball, badminton and other racquet sports)
- Legion track
- Cricket field
- Ball diamonds and sports fields (play is prohibited for leagues and organized activities/sports)
- Disc golf
- Golf courses
- Dog parks
- Basketball courts
- Volleyball and beach volleyball
The following outdoor spaces and recreation facilities are closed:
- Playgrounds and outdoor gyms
Please note: all public washrooms in the parks system are closed.
We believe that parks and trails and nature can benefit our community during these challenging times. All residents are encouraged to do their part to use them in a way that respects each other and public health directions. Further closures may occur if physical distancing requirements are not followed.