UPDATE as of 4:30 p.m., Thursday, June 24: The Exploring Nature with A Wilder Calm event scheduled for Saturday, June 26 has been rescheduled to Saturday, July 10 due to inclement weather in the forecast
The City of Grande Prairie is introducing new programming for the summer with Saturdays at South Bear Creek Park and Sundays in the Park at Muskoseepi Park to provide fun and unique opportunities to enjoy park and recreation amenities in the community over the season.
All events are free and family-friendly. Registration is required on all activities as space is limited. Schedule is subject to change.
Saturdays at South Bear Creek Park
- Exploring Nature with A Wilder Calm
- June 26
- 12:00 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.
- Explore the trails at South Bear Creek with nature walks lead by A Wilder Calm, a group dedicated to bringing people into nature.
- Parents and children aged 0-3 and 4-12 can take part in these 1.5 – 2 hour explorations.
- Disc Golf Lessons with Grande Prairie Disc Golf
- July 17
- 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Check out Grande Prairie’s disc golf course at South Bear Creek and get a free lesson for all ages provided by The Grande Prairie Disc Golf Club.
Sundays in the Park
- Soapstone Carving in the Park
- July 11
- 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. class times available
- An outdoor art class presented in partnership with the Centre for Creative Arts. Participants are provided with all the necessary materials and a lesson in Soapstone Carving.
- Adventure Challenge in the Park
- July 18
- 1 hour timeslots available between 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- A family-friendly scavenger hunt and challenge. All missions can be completed outside in Muskoseepi Park in an hour and are recommended for people ages 6+ with adult.
- Food Trucks and Music in the Park
- July 25
- 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Local food trucks are offering up everything from poutine to ice cream. Sit for a picnic to enjoy live local entertainment on the Amphitheatre or take your treats to go explore the walking trails or other amenities.
- Yoga in the Park
- Aug 8
- 45 min classes starting at 1:00 p.m. (Fun Family Yoga), 2:00 p.m. (Gentle Easy Yoga) and 3:00 p.m. (Fun Family Yoga)
- Hosted by Oranj. Participants are asked to bring their own mat and water bottle. Classes are suitable for all skill levels.
- Pizza and Fresh Air Theatre in the Park
- Aug. 22
- 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Local pizza parlors have been invited to offer up slices for sale while live musicians entertain from the Amphitheatre stage. The Calvalcade Theatre has prepared an afternoon of short performances from the amphitheater stage. The show is suitable for families of all ages.
The City of Grande Prairie looks forward to hosting these events over the summer weekends and providing opportunities for fun and recreation in the community.