As cold weather is expected for the Grande Prairie area and pet owners are reminded to keep animals indoors.
Enforcement Services encourages pet owners to:
- Limit outdoor time; especially for puppies, senior dogs, small and short-haired dog breeds
- Thoroughly dry feet, legs and stomach when your dog comes in from the snow
- Monitor paw pads, which can be injured by snow, ice and salt
- Refrain from leaving pets unattended in a vehicle
- Provide outdoor dogs with an insulated shelter with straw bedding
Signs of distress include excessive shivering, lifting paws, licking/biting paws, or refusing to play. Dogs should be brought inside if any of these signs are noticed. Cats are not able to withstand low temperatures and should be kept indoors where they are warm and safe.
It is an offence under the Animal Protection Act to cause or permit an animal to be in distress.
For more information, or to report an animal in distress, contact Enforcement Services at 780-357-8732.