PUBLIC NOTICE TO ELECTORS OF THE CITY OF GRANDE PRAIRIE, PROVINCE OF ALBERTA
BY-LAW NO. C-1430
SECTION 251 - THE MUNICIPAL GOVERNMENT ACT
TAKE NOTICE that the Council of the City of Grande Prairie, in the Province of Alberta, has given first reading to borrowing By-law No. C-1430 which will, upon final passage and approval, authorize the proper officers of the said City to borrow monies from the Alberta Capital Financing Authority or another authorized financial institution by way of debenture issue, to pay for the undertaking and completing of the Construction of the Downtown Rehabilitation, Phase 4.
The total budget of the aforesaid project is $14,000,000. The maximum amount to be borrowed on the credit and security of the municipality at large by the issue of debentures is $14,000,000. The debentures are to be repayable to the Alberta Capital Finance Authority or authorized financial institution, in semi-annual or annual payments of combined principal and interest installments, not to exceed Thirty (30) years calculated at a rate not exceeding the interest rate fixed by the Alberta Capital Finance Authority or another authorized financial institution on the date of the borrowing, and not to exceed six (6) percent.
NOW THEREFORE NOTICE is hereby given by the Council of the City of Grande Prairie that, unless a petition of the electors for a vote on By-law No. C-1430 is demanded, as provided for by the terms of Section 231 of the Municipal Government Act, the said Council may pass the said borrowing by-law.
All persons interested are hereby notified and they are required to govern themselves accordingly. Copies of the proposed bylaws and related documents may be obtained from:
- The Office of the City Clerk, City of Grande Prairie
- 3rd Floor, City Hall, 10205 – 98 Street,
- Grande Prairie, Alberta, T8V 6V3
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
DATED at the City of Grande Prairie, in the Province of Alberta, this 28th day of January 2021.
INFORMATION FOR ELECTORS
Pursuant to Section 1(i) of the Municipal Government Act an "elector" means:
- A person who is eligible to vote in the election for a councillor under the Local Authorities Election Act.
Pursuant to “section 47(1) of the Local Authorities Election Act,” a person is eligible to vote in an election if he/she:
- a) is at least 18 years old,
- b) is a Canadian citizen, and
- c) has resided in Alberta for the 6 consecutive months immediately preceding election day and is resident in the area on election day.
A poll may be demanded in the City of Grande Prairie by electors equal in number to at least
- a) in the case of a municipality other than a summer village, by electors of the municipality equal in number to at least 10% of the population, in accordance with the provisions of section 223, and section 251 of the Municipal Government Act.
The petition for a vote must be received by the Chief Administrative Officer within 15 days of the last publication of this notice and shall contain on each page “an accurate and identical statement of the purpose of the petition”. (Further requirements of the petition are provided in section 224 of the Municipal Government Act.)
DATE of the last publication of this notice is the 11th day of February 2021.