What is a Change of Use?

A Change of Use permit is required when the tenancy ends in one unit and a new tenancy begins. If the occupancy type remains the same, a Change of Use permit is required to ensure all life safety requirements are met.

Do I need a building permit?

For a Change of Use, a building permit is required.

Once you're issued a Change of Use Permit, you will request an inspection.  Building, electrical, plumbing and gas Safety Codes Officers will be inspecting to verify life safety requirements are met. Upon inspection, you may be required to obtain additional permits to correct an unsafe situation.

Do I need a development permit?

A development permit is often required for a Change of Use, please contact the Development Services Office at 780-538-0325 for more information.

Do I need a lot grading permit?

Sometimes a lot grading permit is required for a change of use; please contact Engineering Services at  lotgrading@cityofgp.com for more information

This is a general guide and has no legal status. It cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws and policies currently in effect. The City of Grande Prairie accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information.