What is a Tenant Improvement?

A tenant improvement is an interior or exterior renovation to an existing building.

Do I need a building permit?

Most often the answer is yes, however, please get in touch with our Inspections Office at 780-538-0421

Do I need a sub-trade permit?

In addition to a building permit, the following sub-trade permits are required when completing a Tenant Improvement.

  • Electrical Permit (required if adding to or altering an electrical system)

  • Plumbing Permit (required if adding to or altering a plumbing system)

  • Gas Permit (required if adding or replacing a gas appliance)

Do I need a development permit?

Sometimes a Development Permit is required, please get in touch with our Development Officers at 780-538-0325.

Do I need a lot grading permit?

Sometimes a lot grading permit is required for tenant improvements; please contact Engineering Services at  lotgrading@cityofgp.com for more information.

This is a general guide and has no legal status. It cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws and policies currently in effect. The City of Grande Prairie accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information.