What is an alteration or addition?

An alteration or addition is considered a renovation which affects anything structural such as moving or removing walls or adding windows and doors. Adding drywall or painting is not considered an alteration or addition.

An Alteration or Addition may require both a Development Permit and a Building Permit

For information related to the Land Use Bylaw and what is required from Development Permitting, please see below.

Any renovations that will affect the footprint or height of your home requires a Development Permit (ie. adding a sunroom).  A Development Permit is not required for renovations such as flooring or new shingles.  

If you are unsure if a development permit is required, please contact us at 780-538-0325.

For Secondary Suites and Garage Suites - please see the separate web pages for these developments.



For information related to building code and what is required from Inspection Services, please see below.


Alberta One Call

If you are planning to disturb the ground, find out where the buried utilities are on your property as part of your planning process.

Whether you are landscaping, building a new fence or deck, or simply planting a garden, disturbing the ground on your property can cause damage to a buried utility. Some utilities are buried mere centimetres below the surface. For more information, contact Alberta One Call at 1-800-242-3447 or at www.albertaonecall.com

This is a general guide and has no legal status. It cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws and policies currently in effect. The City of Grande Prairie accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information.