What is a Solid Fuel Burning Appliance?

A solid fuel burning appliance is a heat generating appliance that is fuelled by a source other than natural gas or electricity. Such a source may include wood or pellets.

Do I need a development permit?

No, a development permit is not required for installing a solid fuel burning appliance.

A Solid Fuel Burning Appliance will require a building permit.

For information related to building code and what is required from Inspection Services, please see below.


This is a general guide and has no legal status. It cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws and policies currently in effect. The City of Grande Prairie accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information.