The Barrier-Free Grant is designed to promote a business environment that is accessible to all residents, visitors and employees, through financial incentives for commercial property and business owners to invest in Accessibility Improvement Projects. The Barrier-Free Grant is a matching grant that will provide 50% of project costs up to a maximum of $10,000 for eligible Accessibility Improvement Projects.
The following requirements must be met by the applicant to be eligible for a grant:
- The business must apply on behalf of existing employees
- The business must have a physical location within the municipal boundaries of the City
- Meet additional application requirements as specified by the Committee
- Have been in business for at least six (6) months
- Create at least one (1) additional employment opportunity (excluding business owner/proprietor)
- Property taxes are current
Applications are open until funding runs outs.
Applications must include two independent quotes for each project element. Please complete the table according to the quotes you have provided with your application.
These may be comprehensive, capturing the entire project from a general contractor or broken out into specific elements such as ramps, barrier-free entryway, braille signage etc. Quotes should be included exclusive of GST. The maximum eligible grant amount will be calculated based on the combined total of the lowest quotes from each element category.
- Completed Application Form
- Preconstruction Photos – Photos shall show the current site and its context including adjacent structures and areas.
- Project Description – A complete description of the project.
- Project Drawings – Drawings should show the proposed design. Construction drawings are acceptable.
- Project Quotes – At least two quotes from separate contractors that indicate the Hard Cost of the project. (NOTE: Reimbursement will be based on the project’s actual Hard Costs to a maximum amount as set out in the Reimbursement Agreement between the City and the Applicant)