Patios help to create a vibrant downtown by placing activities outside and connecting businesses to the streets. The Patio Grant provides a financial incentive for business owners to develop an outdoor patio space and encourage an increased public presence on the streets of downtown. The matching grant provides business owners with 50% of the cost, up to $5,000 for patios located within the Downtown Incentives Program Boundary.
The following requirements must be met by the applicant to be eligible for a grant:
- Be the property owner(s) or that person’s legal representative
- Property must be located within the Downtown Incentives Program Boundary
- Meet additional Application Requirements as specified by the Downtown Incentives Program Review Committee.
Applications are open until the end of the year, or until funding runs out.
Projects are required to meet all legal requirements including those in the Land Use Bylaw, the Downtown Enhancement Plan, Building Codes and any other applicable regulations. Applicants are encouraged to meet with Inspection Services and Development Permitting to determine any permitting requirements.
For the Patio Grant, the design must allow for an unobstructed pedestrian space that is at least 2m wide. If there is not enough space to achieve this, it can be provided with decking. The applicant is required to arrange any necessary agreements with Engineering Services and the Transportation Department.
- Completed Application Form
- Preconstruction Photos – Photos shall show the current site and its context including adjacent structures, roadways, sidewalks, and landscaping.
- Site Plan – The plan should indicate all structures and their context including adjacent structures, roadways, sidewalks, and landscaping.
- Project Description – A complete description of the project.
- For the Patio Grant, this will include the intended use of the space and intended user groups.
- Project Drawings – Drawings should show the proposed design. Construction drawings are acceptable.
- Project Quotes – At least two quotes from separate contractors that indicate the Hard Cost of the project.
(NOTE: Reimbursement will be based on the project’s actual Hard Costs to a maximum amount as set out in the Reimbursement Agreement- Patio Grant between the City and the Applicant)