Have your voice heard and shape the future of the City by joining the Grande Prairie Youth Advisory Council.
The GPYAC consists of young people, ages 14 to 24, from a diverse mix of backgrounds who live in the City of Grande Prairie and the surrounding areas.
What to Expect
Applicants are contacted in the Fall to set up an interview to volunteer for the upcoming year. Successful applicants are appointed by City Council in October or November for one-year terms running from January to December.
A minimum commitment of two hours per week to attend YAC meetings is required. Availability to work on special projects, events and or attend other community meetings, discussions and initiatives is encouraged and membership is completely free.
Non-member youth are welcome to attend Youth Advisory Council meetings, however only appointed Youth Advisory Councillors can vote on motions and recommendations for initiatives and communication with City Council. To be part of our discussions, please contact us for more information at email@example.com.
Besides having a say on what youth need in Grande Prairie, members gain valuable experience by:
- organizing events and opportunities for young people in the area,
- influencing Council policies and decisions regarding local youth.
- making a tangible change in the community
- receiving school credit, when and where applicable
- attending training in various leadership areas
- learning job and life skills
- gaining insight into Council and local governance
- establishing new personal and professional networks
- participating in board governance
- building your resume
- feeling a sense of accomplishment by making a difference in the community
If this sound like the right fit for you, Click Here to be re-directed to the Application Form.