What are the differences between a Home Office and a Home Business?
Maximum Area - 25% of the gross floor area of the principal dwelling, including the area of the basement, up to a maximum of 20m2.
Structural Alterations - None
Exterior Impact - Shall not create any nuisance and shall preserve the privacy and enjoyment of adjacent residences and the neighbourhood.
Equipment and or Material Storage - No storage other than office supplies for administrative purposes.
Customer Traffic Generation - No home business related vehicle trips.
Parking Spaces - No additional parking required
Employees - Only those who reside within the residence.
Business-Related Vehicles - One passenger vehicle without a commercial license up to 1 tonne.
Signage - No signs permitted other than signs on the vehicle.
Maximum Area - 30% of the total combined gross floor area of the principal dwelling and accessory buildings. The total area used cannot exceed 50m2.
Structural Alterations - Must comply with local bylaws and the Alberta Safety Codes Act.
Exterior Impact - Shall not create any nuisance and shall preserve the privacy and the enjoyment of adjacent residences and the neighbourhood.
- Equipment and or Material Storage -
No exterior storage of equipment or materials associated with the business.
- Any equipment must be stored off-site and proof of storage agreement must be provided to the Development Authority.
- Only one (1) utility trailer used in conjunction with the home business not exceeding 2,000kg maximum gross vehicle weight, 4.0m in length and 2.0m in height can be parked in the garage or in the backyard.
- In addition, the utility trailer may be parked on the driveway in the front yard or side yards provided it does not occupy or obstruct access to any required off-street parking, it is located no closer than 1.52m from the interior edge of the sidewalk or where no sidewalk exists from the curb, and it is not parked within any corner visibility triangle.
Customer Traffic Generation - A maximum of six (6) home business related vehicle round trips per day, commercial deliveries allowed only during restricted hours [vehicle shall not exceed 5,000kg (GVW)].
Parking Spaces - One (1) additional on-site paved parking space in addition to those required for the principle residence, if there are customers or if there is an employee or a utility trailer associated with the Home Business.
Employees - May employ a maximum of one non-resident employee. Additional non-resident employees may be employed off-site, but not visit the residence for business reasons.
Business-Related Vehicles One (1) single axle, commercially licensed vehicle up to 5,000kg (GVW).
Signage - One (1) non-illuminated identification sign, no larger than 0.3m2.
Home Business Customer Hours
Home Businesses shall not have more than one (1) customer at the dwelling at any time.
All Home Business customer vehicle trips shall be restricted to:
- . Monday to Saturday between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm; and,
- Sundays and Statutory Holidays between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm.