Fire Pit Permits and Guidelines

Who Needs a Fire Pit Permit?

People who want to have fire pits or camp fires on residential property need a fire pit permit. No other type of burning is allowed. Burning without a current Permit is contrary to City of Grande Prairie Bylaw C-1312.

Get a Fire Pit Permit Online

Fire Works and Pyrotechnics Special Effects


Fireworks are regulated by Natural Resources Canada, the Explosives Act, the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act and the Alberta Fire Code. The Alberta Fire Code applies to the sale and discharge of fireworks and pyrotechnic devices.

The City of Grande Prairie requires a permit for:

  • Selling consumer fireworks at commercial outlets ($150.00)
  • Purchasing consumer fireworks at a commercial outlet ($40.00)
  • Possession of consumer fireworks
  • Display of consumer fireworks ($20.00). A Park Use Permit is also required because designated City parks are the only allowable areas for display.
  • Fireworks are ONLY allowed to be displayed on private lands (1) hectare / (2.5) acres, or greater in area, and must be 50 meters or greater from property line.
  • High hazard fireworks and pyrotechnic displays (see below)

Burn Barrel

Burn Barrels will not be permitted for use in a Multi-Parcel Residential subdivision

Burn Barrels require a burning permit

Burn Barrel means a non-combustible structure or container located on public or private property, used for recreational open burning and constructed pursuant to Bylaw C-1312

Burn barrel distance requirements

Only burnable debris is allowed to be burnt

  • straw and stubble
  • grass and weeds
  • leaves and tree prunings
  • brush and fallen trees on newly cleared land or associated with logging operations
  • wooden materials, which do not contain wood preservatives, from the construction or demolition of buildings
  • other as listed in the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act.

Open Burning

Permits are required for all open burning during Fire Season

“Fire Season” means from March 1st to October 31st, annually, unless otherwise directed by the Province of Alberta

Requesting a Field Inspection/ Open Burning Permit

Field inspection requests can be made by one of the following:

  • Call 780-538-0393
  • Email
  • Schedule your field inspection in person during regular business hours. Monday to Friday between the hours 8:30 to 4:30 pm. Eagar Station in South Grande Prairie (8111 Resources Road.)
  • Provide name and contact information to the fire prevention branch.
  • A fire prevention officer or member will contact the customer and arrange an inspection to issue the permit. Turn around time for permit issuance will be 3 working days or less where possible.